On the second Sunday in May, in honor of the mothers, we are celebrating Mother’s Day! And what’s the best way to enjoy this wonderful day with? Of course, with a delicious fruit pie!
Today I am sharing with you this super easy recipe for Rhubarb/Strawberry Pie. And adding a scoop of whipped cream or vanilla ice cream, makes it one of the best desserts ever!
To keep things super easy, I used store bought puff pastry for the crust. So the only thing you need to use your time on is slicing up your fruit for the filling, than tossing them with some extra ingredients and adding to your puff pastry. Fast, simple and easy!
- 1 puff pastry sheet
- 200 g fresh strawberries, quartered
- 150 g fresh rhubarb, chopped into 2 cm pieces
- 1 tsp vanilla sugar
- 35 g all-purpose flour
- 100g + 2tbsp granulated sugar
- 2 tsp fresh lemon or orange zest ( I personally used lemon zest for this recipe)
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1 large egg + 1 tbsp water for egg wash
- Preheat oven to 200C. Line a large baking tray with parchment paper. Place puff pastry on the sheet and set aside
- In a small bowl, make an egg wash – mix the egg and water, and beat until well combined ; set aside
- Slice strawberries and rhubarb. Using a few sheets of paper towel, press down lightly to remove as much excess moisture as possible without crushing the fruit
- In a large bowl, combine chopped fruit, vanilla sugar and lemon zest; toss to coat evenly. Add in the flour, sugar and salt; mix well all ingredients
- Spread fruit mixture into the center of the puff pastry, leaving enough space on all sides. Fold pastry edge up and over fruit mixture, overlapping edges if its needed. Leave the center uncovered!
- Bake on the lowest shelf of the oven for 30 minutes or until pastry is golden brown and fruit is bubbling. Allow the pie to rest for 10 minutes before serving
- Serve with vanilla ice cream or whipped cream